In 200 communities across the United States and in select international locations, The First Tee chapters deliver the Life Skills Experience curriculum to young people at more than 700 golf programming locations. This curriculum, which teaches life lessons and leadership skills through the sport of golf, was developed by experts in the field of positive youth development and is delivered by coaches trained throughThe First Tee Coach Program.
A Unique Enrichment Program for Kids & Teens
We believe that sports, specifically the game of golf, provide a platform to encourage core values and healthy choices. The First Tee Life Skills Experience is one of the unique features that differentiates The First Tee from other youth enrichment and junior golf programs. It helps young people develop character by focusing on Nine Core Values: honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy and judgment.
- Introduce themselves
- Manage emotions
- Resolve conflicts
- Set step-by-step goals
- Plan for the future
- Appreciate diversity
Program Levels and Enrichment Focus
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) - Introduces playing the game of golf with special emphasis on learning golf and The First Tee Code of Conduct, appreciating the rules and etiquette of the game and developing a game plan for golf and life.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) - Focuses on interpersonal communications and self-management skills.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) - Emphasizes goal setting.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age13) - Emphasizes resilience skills, conflict resolution and planning for the future.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) - Once a young person has progressed through all program levels, he/she can become Ace-certified, focusing on setting goals for golf, career education, and giving back to the community.
How Does my Child Advance through the Levels?
Participants advance through the different Life Skill levels through a certification process with five general requirements:
- core lesson exposure
- life skills application
- golf skills application
- life skills knowledge
- golf knowledge
Each participant seeking to move to a higher level will demonstrate their understanding of the core golf and life skills. They will show their ability to apply the lessons learned both on and off the golf course.