Since 1997, The First Tee has introduced the game of golf and its inherent values to the more than seven million young people. On golf courses, in elementary schools and on military installations, we’ve helped shape the lives of young people from all walks of life by teaching them values like integrity, respect and perseverance through the game of golf. In addition to learning fundamentals of the golf swing and the game, our character education and life skills programs help young people prepare for success in high school, college and life.
Our Youth Leadership & Curriculum Focuses on:
- How to manage emotions
- How to set goals
- How to resolve conflicts
- How to introduce themselves
- How to communicate with others
The First Tee Nine Core Values
|Learn More »|
The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits
|Learn More »|
The First Tee Code of Conduct
Respect for Myself
- I will dress neatly and wear golf or athletic shoes.
- I will always try my best when I play or practice.
- I will keep a positive attitude and catch myself doing something right regardless of the outcome.
- I will be physically active, eat well, get enough sleep and take care of myself so I can stay healthy.
- I will be honest at all times, including when I keep score and if I break a rule.
- I will use proper etiquette and maintain my composure even when others may not be watching.
Respect for Others
- I will follow all instructions and safety rules.
- I will keep up with the pace of play on the golf course.
- I will be friendly, courteous and helpful.
- I will remain still and quiet while others are playing and have fun without being loud and rowdy.
- I will be a good sport toward others whether I win or lose.
Respect for my Surroundings
- I will keep the golf course and practice areas clean and in as good or better shape than I found them.
- I will clean and take care of my and others’ golf equipment.
- I will be careful not to damage anything that belongs to others.
Youth Development Research Validates
Independent research confirms the youth development programs delivered through The First Tee’s chapters instill life skills and core values in youth participants. Highlights from the study include:
- Participants unanimously identified school as a setting in which they transferred life skills.
- 73% reported high confidence in their ability to do well academically.
- 82% felt confident in their social skills with peers.
- 57% credited The First Tee for their meeting and greeting skills.
- 52% credited the program for their ability to appreciate diversity.
The First Tee's goal is to provide character education and life skills programs to help young people be successful in school and in life.